Saturday, May 8, 2010

Falafelicious!


What: Falafel Sandwich
Where: Falafel King
1504 Hancock Street
Quincy  MA 02169
How much: $4.75

All Hail the King!  The true King of Falafel.

(readers, cue The Pretenders - The Wait)  (clicking on link should open YouTube in a new browser tab so you can hear my selected audio track playing, but you will have to click back on this tab to return)


You may know of my recent exploration of Banh Mi Battel-Quincy at Ba Le (see below).  I had to try another Banh Mi shop and I drove right past Falafel King.  I felt a bit bad...well, more of a tawdry/dirty/cheating scumbag looking for a cheap thrill and a quick score on the streets of Quincy.  The Banh Mi was great.  I have no regrets.  I got my thrill.  I found out my blind date was quite well educated, polite, confident and emotionally engaging.  But at the end of the day, my steady was there for me, with all the same qualities.

Every other Wednesday is generally Falafel Wednesday as I find myself on or near the south shore of MA with a definite lunch plan.  The guys at Falafel King ALWAYS took care of me and were unusually pleasant (though they may look a bit grumpy).  Ba Le has challenged the Falafel Wednesday notion.  I guess with the 5.5B/6 at Ba Le, Wednesdays are no longer dedicated solely to the Falafel.  Wednesdays will now be wracked with guilt and indecision.  Oh yeah, and offer two great options that I can obsess about for days.  The wait to hump day is a road paved with hunger and up a hill named desire.


Things to know:
The new young(est) guy will not ask you anything, just give the order to one of the other  guys.
The younger guy will ask if you want hummus on your Falafel sandwich.  Always say yes, otherwise it can be bit (only a bit) dry.  And ask for a bit of hot sauce.  His sandwiches are very good.
The owner, not old but the oldest guy there, will not ask you any questions, but will serve you THE BEST Falafel sandwich I have ever tasted.  He seems to work midday and no later than 2PM.

The lettuce is always crisp.  The tomatoes in summer and as early as this week were unbelievable fresh and tasty.  The pickled somethings are great and offer a nice salty and crunchy taste and texture contrast.  The pita is ALWAYS fresh, amazingly soft, yet chewy.  The falafel (fried ground chick peas with spices) is very light and not at all greasy.


Parking along Hancock can be a bit of a bear during noontime.  Just be patient.


I'd give it 6B/6. 

(__!__) (__!__) (__!__) (__!__) (__!__) (__!__)

Falafel King on Urbanspoon

A perfect score!

1 comment:

medrabik said...

A full six butt cheeks???? Where do you go from here? Is this really your Nirvana? Your Conn. roots are showing themselves. A true Yankee New Englander (we all know that CT is not really in New England, just a suburb of NY) would be more understated and leave some wiggle room. Or you have truly reached the peak and your mother now has no reason to cook for you any longer?