Friday, May 21, 2010

Hot Wiener Battle-Fairhaven


What: 3 Dawg Pack (3 Dogs, Small Fries, Small Soda)
Where: Naughty Dawgs
224 Huttleston Avenue
Fairhaven MA
How Much: $8.50
  

(readers, cue The Stoogies - I Wanna Be Your Dog) (clicking on link should open YouTube in a new browser tab so you can hear my selected audio track playing, but you will have to click back on this tab to return)


This day's travels took me to Fairhaven (just east of New Bedford) in southeast MA.  I had some extra time and there are no Banh Mi spots that I know of in SE MA and I love a good Hot Wiener.

A Hot Wiener is a hot dog with mustard, onion, celery salt and "Coney sauce".  I first had these in Woonsocket RI at a New York Systems (link is for location in Olneyville).  I have only seen these around the RI and southern MA area.  They are also know as Coney Dogs.


As far as I am concerned, Coney sauce should not have much, if any, tomato product in it,  Too healthy I guess.  The bun should be steamed.  The hot dog should be a skinless and non all-beef.  I prefer a product from Kayem.


Naughty Dawgs call them Coney Dogs.  Bun was very soft/steamy.  Sauce was very good, but onions, against tradition, were under the Coney sauce.  Fries were also very good, if not a bit under cooked for my taste and in need of salt since my meal was so sodium deficient.  Diet Pepsi was fountain Diet Pepsi.  Hey, I got to skip calories were I can.


3 Dawg pack is usually $6.50, but Coney sauce is an extra $.49 per.  Fair value for the money, but when no Banh Mi shops are around, it beats a national chain.


I'd give it 4.5B/6

(__!__) (__!__) (__!__) (__!__) (__!

Naughty Dawgs on Urbanspoon

I cringe to say anything about wiener below my B scales, so I won't.

No comments: