Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mahalo from Mars

What: Coconut M&M's
Where: Shop & Shop
How much: $.99

Part chocolate, part myth.

I had heard of a Lost type parallel universe where M&M's existed in alternate flavors.  This rumored product seemed to be the product of Charles Widmore and Eloise Hawking co-owning a chocoltier on a tropical island.  Well, that reality has entered my world without an EMP to propel it.

As I was scouring the shelves of the local grocery with K searching for fermented black beans and other foodstuffs, cursing all the while that I should have gone to Super 88 (or whatever it is now called and picking myself up a Banh Mi), I came face to face with a product of intense market research (and maybe some stimulus $$ - Thanks President Obama).  Coconut M&M's!!!

Only colors were white, brown and green.  Maybe this is were all the green M&M's have been hidden.  Personally, I'd vote to add a least one other color to portray tropical goodness.  I guess the brown, white and green make sense from the coconut palm pallet, but it just seems missing some color.  Hey haoles, how about fuschia to represent the hibiscus in the hair of the natives that collected the coconuts.

No typical dried coconut flake texture.  No smooth baby coconut texture like the inside of a  Lychee Jelly cup.  Just like regular M&M's, perhaps a bit fatter, just coconuttier.

Taters didn't like them, but he doesn't like coconut (a fact forgotten by me).  I was so dazzled by the new taste sensation, I wouldn't tell him what they were.  I just kept insisting he try them.  Hold out chocolate to most anyone (except double A Mario), and they gobble it up like ... well ... chocolate.  Taters did.  He was not so dazzled.  YM says very good.

I'd give it 4B/6.
(__!__) (__!__) (__!__) (__!__)


Peanut Butter (not peanut) M&M's get 5BC/6.  That is if you can pry them away from Red Bullmoose...

The island has moved before.  I found something just as interesting in a most unexpected place.  But that is another post (check back in a few days)...

No comments: