Friday, April 16, 2010

Banh Mi Battel-Portland ME



What: Beef Banh Mi
Where: Kim's Gifts
261 Saint John St
Portland, ME  04102-3015
How much: $2.75

Yes I know I have mixed Asian heritage references in the title.  Apologies to the folks over at Kaiju.

Banh Mi.  The words echo in my ears like the song of the Sirens.

Oh yeah, that sounds familiar.  I guess I used that before...
Banh Mi.  The words bring a rumble to my stomach.

My travels took me to quaint, scenic Portland ME.  It was in mind more than usual because of it's feature in the Travel Channel show No Reservations.  While Tony does not go for Banh Mi, he does get to some interesting places in Maine.

So I figure it is my turn to taste the best of Maine.  I will be blogging in the future about Great Lost Bear, a great food destination in Portland, but today's quest finest foods visit drops in on Kim's Gifts.

(readers, pull up iTunes and cue the Velvet Underground - Heroin)

A call goes out the previous day to Pepe (of the North).  Is he available for the trip, can he help me get the stuff?  Rumor has it that he is getting too close to the source, dropping by at all hours, hoping his source of sustenance will be there late, to feed his filthy habit.  But, no, he is "busy", something has come up, can't make it.  He's has to go to the top of a mountain or his Mrs. is going to South America or something.  I guess that I just don't know...

I have not had one here in a while.  I believe it was sometime in February after a trip to the North Pole (or so) with Bakin', Edzo, Cesius, Ocho, Red Bullmoose, Sunshine, young Alces, Tyre, YM, K, Taters and Slim/None.  The group split up and K and YM had my back and lived the dream with me.

Banh Mi University graduate?  Oh yes!  Magna Cum Laude. Note the white deli wrap and elastic as one would expect. (Yes, that is my usual luncheon dining table in the picture)  The meat was some of the best that I've had.  Definitely a note of sweet and spicy with absolutely NO fat.  Plant material was outstanding.  Cilantro was crisp and not one hint of darkness on the leaves.  Carrots and onions also very crisp and tasty.  The smear of mayo was just right, enough to moisten and flavor, not enough to overwhelm and make the items slippery eject themselves out the side as you bite into the Banh Mi.  I did ask the person who I can only assume was Kim to make it spicy.  She put only two slices of jalapenos, but did pour some marinade on it as well as a but of chili sauce.  The first bite did not seem hot enough, but half way through I did start to get a nice deep smoky burn.

The sandwich was a only bit smaller than others that I have had and the amount of meat was a bit scant, but quality of meat and plant material and the fact the Kim actually but the bread in heating device to give it that extra crisp outside made it stand out.  The best $2.75 I've spent in ME.

I'd give it 4B/6.
(__!__) (__!__) (__!__) (__!__)

As I was waiting for my meal, I wandered around the place and my eye was caught by some of the Asian groceries they carried.  You all know about ramen noodles.  I found some instant Pho (which is a Viet noodle soup like ramen).  The noodles are rice, not wheat based.  But alas, the mixture did say that it did contain wheat products. Close but no cigar for you non-gluten crowd. Check back here for a review of the exotic product soon.

Off the food subject, I did update my links with my friend SurGGGe's (with not much help from Surge) blog.  Check it out.

1 comment:

medrabik said...

The Mrs. and I got our fix for lunch today. Excellent as always!!--- Pepe