Monday, April 26, 2010

Banh Mi Battel-Quincy MA #1



Monday night blogging.  I'll try to make it quick.

What: #4 Beef Banh Mi
Where: Ba Le Vietnamese Sandwiches
219 Quincy Avenue
Quincy  MA 02169
How much: $3.00

Yeay, yeah, yeah...mixed Asian reference. Not a spelling mistake...

Banh Mi. The words turn the wheels in my tiny brain....

(readers, cue Gary Clail & On-U Sound System - Human Nature)

This day's travels took me to quaint Quincy.  Quincy is always in mind because it is the location of the falafel place that I love.  Details are coming soon.  Honestly, to get to Ba Le, I had to drive by the legendary falafel place.  It took my ENTIRE being to control my animal instincts and not stop and have falafel for lunch.  Why take a chance?  Banh Mi, that is why.  I spoke to POTN (Pepe (of the North) )) earlier in the day.  I'll blame him and his casual "I scored some over the weekend" junkie-bragging as my reason to pass up a sure thing and take a header.

Banh Mi University graduate?  Oh yes!  Summa Cum Laude. Note the white deli wrap and elastic as one would expect. (Yes, that is my usual luncheon dining table in the picture)  Bread was very good, but not perfect.  It was crusty on the outside as expected, but just lacked that slightly chewy inside that I prefer.  The meat was there in quantity and VERY tasty.  Meat appeared to be grilled with obvious char marks. The size of the beef pieces was slightly larger/thicker than average.  Plant material was outstanding.  Cilantro was crisp and not one hint of darkness on the leaves.  Carrots and daikon also very crisp and tasty.  The cucumber was long and large and very fresh. One piece took up the whole length of the sandwich.  There were even some scallions.  The smear of mayo was a little light.  The counter person asked ME if I wanted peppers.  I said yes and if you can see in the picture, I did not get jalapenos.  I got Thai green chili slices.  Killer touch.  The first bite had a no bite, but  the burn snuck up on me through the whole sandwich. Burn was full on by the time I finished.  Sandwich size was comparable to most.  The thing that really hooked me was a sweet taste that contrasted with the hot and salty.  It seemed to be something in the liquid poured on top of the sandwich.   This was also the fastest I've ever been served at a Banh Mi place before (and there was someone in line in front of me).  No Sriracha in sight, but no need for it.  Great value for the money.

Things worth noting.  Ba Le is INSIDE of Kam Man Supermaket, not the Viet restuarant opposite Kam Man in the same plaza.  Go in the doors and immediately take a right like you are headed toward the grocery and just before you get to the supermarket entrance, Ba Le is on the right.  They serve several other types of Banh Mi as well as a bunch of other items.  It is strictly take out with no place to sit down.  I looked at the other Viet restaurant and they did not appear to serve Banh Mi, but did have Pho.

I'd give it 5.5B/6. (Units have changed slightly as K explained that technically it was a maximum score of 12 BC.
(__!__) (__!__) (__!__) (__!__) (__!__) (__!

A near perfect score!  I'm glad I passed up falafel (at least for today) and kept driving.  I guess I'll have to go back to Quincy later this week to get the falafel fix


Ba Le Sandwich on Urbanspoon

No comments: