Sunday, June 13, 2010

Falafel Feud-Natick MA


What: Large Falafel Sandwich
Where: Victor's Falafel Wraps
223 Worcester Street (Route 9)
Natick  MA 01760
How much: $5.99
 
(readers, cue Human League - The Lebanon)  (clicking on link should open YouTube in a new browser tab so you can hear my selected audio track playing, but you will have to click back on this tab to return)
 
This days travels took me to Natick MA/Route 9 - the mighty commercial Mecca west of Boston.  YM knows my falafel fetish.  She was driving by a couple weeks earlier and the "falafel" sign jumped right out at her.  The clerk said that he have been open for seven months.

The falafel sandwich was freshly made by a man who I can only assume to be Victor.
  There was fresh chopped romaine lettuce.  The tomatoes were diced and not too generous, but ripe.  The pickled somethings were good.  The pita was fresh and large, but then again, I did pay for a large and not a small which was a smaller sized pita, not a large pita cut in half.  The falafel was superball sized with the consistency of a matzo ball (soft and breadcrumb-like) and not generous in quantity.  I was asked if I wanted hot sauce, which I opted for and was more hot than spicy, but still very good.  Overall sandwich length was large, but may be an optical illusion as the ends were not wrapped over to seal anything in.  The sandwich was on the thin size increasing the bread to contents ratio (or should I just say skimpy). Yes, there was tahini drip out of the bottom.  Fair value for the money.

The place was very clean. Service was slow, even just making two falafel sandwiches.  This guy was VERY focused on prep.

A customer came in the door just after I did.  He ordered a small falafel sandwich right after I did.  The clerk made both sandwiches at the same time.  After laying out the pitas and lathering on the tahini on each, he put down onions in addition to the romaine.  The customer was reviewing the menu and looked up at that point and saw that there was onions and apologized that he forgot to ask for no onions,  The clerk started berating him for not asking earlier and beat the point to death.  It was almost as if he did not want to take them off.  The customer offered that he worked in an office and that he did not want bad breath.  After much heavy sighing and one more admonishment to tell him next time before he made the falafel. During different points in this "discussion", both "victor" and the customer caught my eye and gave me that "Can you believe this guy?" eyeball roll.

Website address from the menu does not work.  The place is supposed to be open until 10PM Monday through Saturday.

I'd give it 3B/6. 


(__!__) (__!__) (__!__) 



Victor's Falafel Wraps on Urbanspoon

No comments: