Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dew You Remember?






































What: Mountain Dew Throwback
Where: Oliva's  Market Milford MA
How much: $1.00


(readers, cue Flatts and Scruggs - Mountain Dew) (clicking on link should open YouTube in a new browser tab so you can hear my selected audio track playing, but you will have to click back on this tab to return) (this finally works again)


I was hanging out with my friend, El Jeffe, and we decided sandwiches were in order for lunch. I was hoping it would be the blogworthy one that I often get at this spot. Unfortunately, the treasure that I was seeking is pre-made and was sold out for the day. You'll have to wait for me to score one for a proper review. I did end up getting another sandwich there, but it was not exactly blogworthy . I will return soon for my original target and share all the details.


El Jeffe had gone to the cooler, while I was waiting for my sandwich to be made and grabbed drinks for El eDos and himself. As he came back to the counter to wait for me, I saw it in his hands.


Mountain Dew.  Not just any Mountain Dew. Mountain Dew Throwback.  Made with Real Sugar. Limited Time Only. The graphics were not the version that I remember from my harder drinking days,  but they did have a certain retro appeal.


Must...Have...Mountain Dew...


I used to love Mountain Dew. I have these cherished summer camp memories of my daily trips to the canteen after dinner with all the other campers to get our fill of candy.  My choice was usually a Hostess Blueberry Pie (which I can't seem to find lately) and a Mountain Dew. It was sugar heaven. It provided all the energy I needed for the hour of full contact soccer or tetherball that we played before the evening activity. When I was feeling the need for a bit more zip, I would go with Hostess Sno Balls instead of the fruit pie, but I never passed on the Mountain Dew.  Later, as I matured, my tastes developed. I found Mello Yello (ahhhhh... J-Mar, I'm still waiting. Isn't your sister coming east?) and later Fresca. You just can't beat a citrus flavored soft drink (and I don't mean lemon lime).

The taste was exactly how I think remember it. One can definitely tell the difference between this version and the regular high fructose corn syrup version. See Throwback link above for more info.


I though the color was a bit pale, but it has been a good thirty years since I was doing the Dew, my memory is not what is was and Mountain Dew seems to have a bunch of varieties that are vividly colored.


This can was the best $1.00 I spent in a while. It put me straight into a taste time machine. Smells or tastes that can evoke such strong memories and emotions always amaze me. I smiled all afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will be on the look-out for Blueberry hostess pies. So far have only seen a preponderance of apple and some lemon.

Where have all the blueberries gone????????

E