Sunday, July 25, 2010

Falafel Feud- Saxonville MA


What: Falafel Wrap Sandwich
1609 Concord Street
Framingham  MA 01701
How much: $6.90
 
(readers, cue They Mighty Be Giants - Istanbul (Not Constantinople))  (clicking on link should open YouTube in a new browser tab so you can hear my selected audio track playing, but you will have to click back on this tab to return)
 
This days travels took me to Saxonville MA, an area in northeastern Framingham.  YM knows my falafel fetish.  I have driven by this place hundreds of times. The sign in the window that says "Best Falafel Gyro" has been beckoning to me for a long time.  The menu and another sign outside proclaim fine Mediterrean food.
 
This spot has been a seafood store and most recently a Mexican restaurant that Eatawholecake loved.  I'm sure he can provide the history of businesses in this location.  Eatawholecake, we will be looking for your history lesson in the comments below.

The falafel sandwich was freshly made by a father and daughter team by the looks of it.  There was chopped iceberg lettuce.  The pinkish tomatoes were diced and not ungenerous.  Onions were medium diced and did not overwhelm the other flavors.  There were no pickled somethings.  The pita was fresh and large.  The three falafel was golfball sized were very good quality and freshly fried.  The texture was coarser than breadcrumb, almost to rough beachsand (and that is the way I like it).  I was asked if I wanted hot sauce, which I opted for, but was not so hot nor spicy.  Overall sandwich size was large as seen in photo above.  In addition to hummus and tahini, there was some Havuc Kavurmasi, which apparently is cooked finely grated carrots mixed with garlic yogurt.  Fair value for the money.  It did have the best graphics on sandwich wrapping I've seen in a while.

The place was very clean and interestingly (not in a bad way) decorated. Service was decent with the young lady quite friendly when she pulled her earbuds out.  There were some younger kids around too.  You got to love family businesses.  I asked about the sign declaring the best falafel and she pointed to the man and said that "He thinks it is." to which the man added "It is the best.  I hope you like it".

The menu is an interesting mix of Turkish and other.  There are "Mediterranean Style" subs and wraps, a few not-Mediterrean subs and wraps, kebabs, salads, pasta and paninis.  There are even a few quesadillas (with a subtitle of Gozleme) listed.

Alas, it is not the Falafel King.



I'd give it 3B/6. 


(__!__) (__!__) (__!__)  



Subs and More on Urbanspoon

No comments: